Saturday, February 12, 2011

Deconversion Pt.4

Hi all,

Not really much to say so let's get right into it.

I don't know how many of you are surprised by this, but I am a woman. Shocking right? As a woman I am interested in Women's Rights, and it was upon learning many of the things which the various churches have to say about women, that they should be subservient to their husbands, be silent in churches, and all that fun stuff. Not to mention what was done to women who were tried as witches, and the opinion of women in general that the church holds makes it very difficult for me to get behind an organization like that.

Apart from figuring out that the Bible is not historically accurate, that there are no extra biblical references for Christ, that God was not required for the big bang, and the abiogenesis event that led to life on Earth, my atheism probably began at an early age because I am a woman, genetically female. All of the things I listed there came second to my problems with the churches I attended and their views upon women, and let's fact it, if this were the middle ages and me being what would probably be a low class woman, I would not have been able to get the education that I am getting now, and would probably be looked upon with suspicion for my eagerness to learn. I am also a very stubborn woman and often go against the grain. I would have broken a few social norms at the time, and would have likely found myself imprisoned for that. Not to mention that I would have made for an easy target for a witchcraft accusation which may have led to my execution (this would have depended if I lived in the Roman Empire or a Protestant Country).

Why should I show an organization which wears its sexism on its sleeve any respect? My answer is that I shouldn't. Especially when such an organization continues to try to regulate the lives of he people who are not in the organization. Missionaries denying food, water and medicine, to people in third world nations until they convert, trying to deny women the right to control their bodies by limiting access to birth control and abortion, allowing the spread of a deadly disease by restricting access to condoms. There are many more examples of Christians trying to impose their will, and their "rules" on everyone else from all over the world. Of course Christians are not the only ones guilty of this, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Jews and other religions are all trying to do the same in the areas where they have the most power.

If belief and participation is a choice, assuming that these people believe in free will, why not just let them to go hell, or whatever undesirable afterlife they happen to believe in? Why for people to live the way you want them to? Why can't you learn to share? Once I took a step back and took a look at the world that religion has given us, it really wasn't hard for me to take a step back from it, and I'm glad that I did.

Well there is my deconversion story, I hope that you all enjoyed it.

Until next time,
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment