Monday, September 12, 2011

Death

No, I'm not dying anytime soon... I hope, but there is something that recently occured to me which I thought that I would share.

A common question amongst atheists is why certian religious people fear death when they believe in things like heaven?

My answer to that is they fear hell, they may hope that they are going to heaven but are afraid that they have done things in their life which might give them a one way ticket to hell. This might be because they see other religions performing different rituals or other denominations doing the same thing but with slight differences. What I think it comes down to is that they know that they don't know what God's will is and are concerned they might have done something wrong or might have interpreted the scriptures the wrong way. With over 38,000 denominations of Christianity alone I can understand how one might be concerned their interpretation is the wrong one. At least that is how I saw it when I was a theist.

Now that I'm an atheist I don't fear death, because I will cease to care about these things, and knowing that there is a real end seems... well... natural.

That's all for now,
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment