Saturday, May 28, 2011

Faith and Illness

Hey All,

So I was thinking about something, my father particularly. He seems to be having a hard time coping with my illness, and he had the same problem a few years ago when my grandfather died. This is because he believes so much in a loving God that he has trouble processing the bad things which happen. He can't believe that bad things just happen, and that there is no master plan.

Which bring me to my hypothesis; theists have trouble dealing with reality, or have this need to blame the victim because God couldn't possibly be to blame. My father also seems to have a disconnect with reality when it comes to the claims of miracle cures. He keeps pushing the faith healer, as I mentioned earlier, but he is also convinced that hyperbolic oxygen will work, and that I'm suffering from heavy metal poisoning. He wants to believe anything other than that I have ALS and that there is no cure. It doesn't occur to him that trying to convince himself that I can be cured is actually hurting me.

I have to keep telling him the cold hard truth about the bs he is trying to push and it doesn't matter. His false hope is dangerous and he doesn't know it.

So that's all I wanted to share with you for today,
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment